LIVINGSTONE > VIENNA
- The Vienna State Opera houses 1,709 seats.
- Construction began in 1861 and was complete in 1869.
- The opening premiere was Don Giovanni, by Mozart, on May 25, 1869.
- Originally called the "Vienna Court Opera" (Wiener Hofoper), it became known by its current name in 1921.
- The building is also the home of the Vienna State Ballet.
- On March 12, 1945, the opera was set alight by an American bombardment and both the auditorium and stage were destroyed by flames. Repair work began, and in November 1955 reopened with a performance of Beethoven's Fidelio.